Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Calm Down, Chief!

Greetings, swimmers!

I have started this blog in order to document the creation of the 5th Lifeguard Nights album. Since the inception of Lifeguard Nights in July of 2006, I've written close to 100 songs, and released 4 albums, "So Low," "Doing Harm on Easy Street," "After the Disasters," and most recently, "M." The first three albums were therapeutic cleanses, and incredible experiences. I learned how to organically record an album, to allow the songs to find me and grow on me and then tell me "I'm done," and never look back. Once I had expelled the demons, I couldn't wait to put my newfound creative freedom to good use; to step outside of myself and combine my love for fiction and music in one really weird album, "M," a murder mystery-esque fable.

Now that "M" is complete, I am incredibly excited to start working on a new album because I have no idea what it's going to sound like or how it's going to take shape. I have a good 13-14 songs already sketched out, and a few more kicking around in my head. But one of the things I've learned to love the most about recording is that what you hear in your head is never quite what ends up on the final mix; improving upon it is the fun part. So we'll see what happens.

A couple months ago my 5 year old nephew told me to "Calm Down, Chief!" for no apparent reason, and so that's the tentative title of this album. I think it accurately captures the essence of what I'm striving for.

I hope you like it.

Love,

Vincent